Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sleep

I'm obsessed about sleep because I get very little sometimes between shifts. The room has to be dark and cold (which Ehran can't stand), cell phone on silent and me bundled up under my covers.

Its about 1:40 in the afternoon right now and I worked last night and have to work again tonight at the Medical Center in Hays. Only about 10 minutes from my house, its a very nice drive into work. My point is, is that I should be asleep, preparing for my next night of work, but my internal clock says, "No, you are human and humans are not nocturnal. You are suppose to be up during the day accomplishing things and being productive and sleeping at night." So here I sit at the comp wanting to go back to sleep but my mind is racing with things I could be doing instead.

Thats the problem with working nights. I've been doing it for almost 5 years now. Wow! Thats a long time to have a messed up internal clock. I've never really gotten used to it. Some nurses don't mind working nights and they do it for years---like 25 years!! I do love the night shift its self, just not how I feel on my days off. I find that I'm not that reliable anymore. If its the morning of the 3rd night in a row, you can forget it I will be late to where ever I'm suppose to be. And I'm not able to sleep on my nights off. Insomnia takes over and I can't shut my mind off until its 3am and I've finally taken a Tylenol PM. uggg

Anyways, I feel torn as what to do. I want to apply to go to day shift but I know I'm needed more on nights. You have to apply to go to dayshift in my unit. Its almost regarded as a privilege and not an earned right. How messed up is that? I think if you've put in your two years of working nights you should have the option of going to days at your request. But no, I have to wait for an opening to be posted and then apply to the job I already work at to go to dayshift. *sigh*

Oh well, I'm thankful for this job so I will do whatever they say I have to do and play by the rules. Hopefully I will be able to catch my supervisor this week to ask about moving to days. I'll post later as to how this went.




No comments:

Post a Comment